Correspondences are letters, emails, phone calls, or in-person conversations related to a specific name or case. The Correspondence snap-in in JustWare can be used to record all correspondences (internal and external) related to any given name or case. Correspondences created in a case session are case-specific, and correspondences created in a name session are name-specific.
Correspondences can be linked to each other as well as to other tasks, events, or documents to easily keep track of all events on a case and show a hierarchal relationship between them.
Tip: This is an excellent tool for investigators to track interviews related to their investigation.
Creating a Correspondence Record¶
- Click the Correspondence snap-in container, then the Correspondence snap-in in any open session.
- Add a new record.
Select or type all required and relevant data for each available field. Some fields may be required while others are not.
Select the correspondence type from the list.
Tip: If an email correspondence type is selected, and an email client is specified in the Menu Toolbar, and there is an email address in JustWare for one or more correspondence involved people, then a correspondence email is launched in the specified email client after the session is saved.
Caution: If you save and close, as opposed to just saving, a correspondence email will not be launched in the specified email client.
The email client is set in the Menu Toolbar: Tools | Settings | Send Email Using.
Note: When setting up an email correspondence, you can specify the active date of the email address. When an email correspondence record is saved, each email address marked as active for case involved people will be sent an email message. If an involved person has multiple email addresses and none of them are marked as active, the email message will be sent to the most recently added email address.
Select the correspondence location from the list.
Use the Start, Duration, and End fields to record the event's timeframe. The three fields are linked together. If you fill in any two of these fields, the third will automatically populate.
- Start: Type the event start date and time or select the date from the drop-down calendar.
- Duration: Type the event duration in minutes, hours, days, months, or years, including the unit (e.g. for 2 days, type 2d).
- End: Type the event end date and time or select the date from the drop-down calendar.
Select the correspondence status from the list.
Type any relate notes in this free-text field.
Charge OR Case
Select the charge with which the case event is associated from the list.
Displays the case with which the event is associated. Once an event is created in a case session, the event appears in the Calendar snap-in in the name session of each person involved in the event. The Case field includes a hyperlink to the case with which the event is associated.
Note: Which field is displayed is dependent on what type of session is active. In a case session, there will be a Charge field. In a name session, there will be a Case field.
Select the originating event from the list to which you want the new correspondence to be linked.
Select the correspondence category from the drop-down list.
Enter a short title for the event.
Enter an amount of money associated with this event.
Enter any additional amount of money associated with this event.
Enter a date for this event. This field can be helpful to record a date associated with the event that is different than the Start, End, and Duration fields.
Save the session.
Tip: You may also associate involved people with correspondence records using the Correspondence Involved People snap-in.
Finding a Correspondence Record¶
Search for correspondences in one of the following two ways:
- If you know the Correspondence date or type: Type the date or type in the search bar and press Enter. Correspondences matching your search criteria are displayed in a search session.
- If you know the name or case session with which the Correspondence is associated: Open a JustWare session and click the Correspondence snap-in. Related correspondences are then displayed in the Correspondence snap-in.
Capturing Email Text in a Correspondence Record¶
If an email message is triggered by a correspondence record and sent via Micorosft Outlook, the text of the message can be captured in the correspondence record automatically. The Notes field in the Correspondence snap-in is updated with text changes made from the body of an email message. This feature can be used by following these steps:
- Ensure that Outlook is selected in Tools | Settings | Send Email Using.
- In the Correspondence snap-in, add an Email correspondence record row.
- In the Correspondence Involved People snap-in, add a new row. Select an Involved Person on the correspondence that has an active email address.
- Save the session.
- When the draft of the email message opens in Microsoft Outlook, make any necessary changes to the text in the body of the email message.
- Click the Send button.
- Refresh the JustWare session. The text of the body of the email message is displayed in the Notes field of the Correspondence snap-in.